Your larger-than-life Houston home (everything is bigger in Texas, am I right?) is likely full of laughter and memories. Deciding to sell is a big first step! Before you head to the closing table, it’s important to know what repairs to prioritize before selling your Houston home so you can get top dollar. Look no further for our expert advice on sprucing and selling your space.
Ask an Agent
A great first place to start when considering what repairs to complete before a listing is to consult with a real estate agent. Your agent is a professional in your local market and can quickly tell you what repairs you should prioritize. Find a Houston agent to help you narrow your focus on projects and get you to the closing table fast.
De-Personalize And Deep Clean
We are starting off our list of what repairs to prioritize before selling with one that should cost you nothing but your time and effort. Selling a flawed home can feel extremely daunting, but starting small and working your way to feeling fully prepared is a great way to tackle the project. We suggest starting by de-personalizing and deep cleaning the space. Execute these tasks by following these simple tips:
- Remove any personal images, children’s artwork, or religious symbols from your home
- Simplify your design so it appeals to most buyers
- Declutter room-by-room (or even closet-by-closet) until your entire home is airier and free of clutter
- Consider donating unwanted items, discarding broken or not usable items, and taking an image of a sentimental item you no longer need
- Deep clean the home including wiping down walls, cabinetry, and baseboards, and cleaning window coverings
Reading Suggestion: Vivo Y23 Specifications and Price: A Comprehensive Review
Increase Your Storage
Once your home is cleaned out and de-personalized, it’s time to send a message to your potential buyers, “This house has plenty of space for you!” Buyers don’t want to see a stuffed-to-the-gill pantry or closet. Instead, focus on purging excess items in these storage spaces to make it appear like there is tons of excess space.
Kitchen & Bathrooms
Everyone has heard the phrase, “Kitchen and bathrooms sell the house.” There is some truth to this sentiment. Showstopping kitchen and bathrooms will increase your home value by approximately 70-to-80-percent return on investment.
Without doing a full overhaul, it’s recommended that you check all your appliances are working properly, and that cabinetry and surrounding areas are free of damage (including water damage). A refresh in these rooms will certainly help draw buyers to your Houston home.
Reading Suggestion: The Ultimate Guide to McAllen Craigslist: How to Buy and Sell Online
Some other small repairs to prioritize before listing your home in Houston, Texas include:
- Wall and ceiling repairs (patch holes, fresh paint)
- Replace any chipped, cracked, or damaged flooring in the home
- Consider having your HVAC system serviced for a cleaning and maintenance check
- Rearrange furniture and décor to maximize flow and space (if this seems confusing, try hiring a home stager to take care of this for you!)
- Spruce your curb appeal by power washing any dirty surfaces, painting where necessary, and doing some simple landscaping